Are you looking for a quick and easy chocolate dessert? This indulgent chocolate mousse is sure to top your list! It’s ready to eat in about an hour, and tastes fabulous with orange-flavored whipped cream on top. It has a beautiful airy texture and a rich chocolate flavor that will satisfy your cravings for dark chocolate. 🍫
Another great feature of this chocolate mousse it that it’s great to make the day before. Just cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge until you serve it. Your guests will be impressed with the elegant simplicity of this superb dessert!
Since the chocolate is definitely the dominant flavor in this dessert, make sure to choose a chocolate that you enjoy eating plain. I used the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips, which have a slight fruity flavor and taste great on their own, but any kind of good quality dark chocolate will work! You and your family will love this dessert for Valentine’s Day!Print
Learn how to make this quick and easy recipe for indulgent dark chocolate mousse. It’s a simple, no bake dessert that is also low in carbs. It’s perfect for chocolate lovers on any special holiday!
For the Mousse
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (60% cacao) (170g)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream (300 ml)
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua (optional)
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (50g)
For the Decoration
- Zest of 2 medium-sized oranges
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (236 ml)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (12g)
Making the Chocolate Mixture (10 minutes)
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the whipping cream into a small saucepan. Heat it over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it’s just simmering.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir for a minute or two until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl and let it cool for 15 minutes while you make the whipped cream and meringue.
Making the Whipped Cream & Meringue (20 minutes)
- Pour the remaining 3/4 cup (175 ml) of whipping cream into a medium bowl. Add the Kahlua (optional) and beat with a hand-held electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overmix.
- Dump one room-temperature egg white into a clean medium bowl. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then gradually add the caster sugar by spoonfuls and continue to beat until the meringue forms soft, glossy peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream and meringue into the chocolate mixture, making sure not to leave any white flecks of unincorporated cream or meringue. Try not to knock any air out of the mixture as you fold.
- Carefully spoon the mousse into 6 small glasses or serving dishes and let them chill in the fridge while you prepare the decoration.
Decorating the Mousses (10 minutes + 30 minutes chilling)
- Zest the two oranges.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and orange zest into a clean bowl and beat with a hand-held electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe the cream decoratively on top of each mousse.
- Let the mousses chill in the fridge until they’re fully set, about 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
- Be careful to use a clean bowl and clean beaters for the meringue and each batch of whipped cream. Any stray bits of cream or meringue in the mixture could cause it not to whip as well.
- Feel free to make this mousse a day ahead of time and keep in the fridge until needed.