This 5-ingredient European pastry is made with a unique method that’s a lot easier than regular pastry. Your savory meat pies will be even more delicious with this pastry!
- scant 1/2 cup lard (90g)
- 1/2 cup water (118 ml)
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (225g)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons bread flour (50g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the lard and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the lard has just melted and the water is boiling.
- Meanwhile, sift the flours and salt into a medium bowl.
- Once the water is boiling, immediately pour it into the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms. The dough will appear too dry at first, but it will come together as you work it.
- Knead the pastry in the bowl or on a work surface until it’s smooth and has cooled a little.
- Use immediately, or keep over gentle heat in a double boiler until needed.
- Using bread flour in the pastry gives it extra strength, which is ideal for hand-raised pies. Feel free to substitute it with all-purpose flour.
- This pastry is wonderful for savory vegetarian and meat pies, but isn’t recommended for sweet pies.
- The pleasure of a 5 star review would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: pastry, recipe