This quick and easy hot chocolate mix in a jar makes a great Christmas gift! You can mix up just one serving of this creamy hot chocolate in minutes, and enjoy it with marshmallows and a candy cane. Now you can satisfy your hot cocoa craving anytime this winter!
- 3 cups powdered whole milk or nonfat milk (285g)
- 3 cups granulated sugar (600g)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (86g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (16g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Making the Mix
- Sift all the ingredients into a large bowl. You might need to push the last bits of the powdered milk through the sieve with a spoon.
- Whisk until blended, making sure that there are no streaks of unmixed ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from direct light for up to 6 months.
Making the Hot Chocolate
- Low-Fat Version: Mix 1/4 cup of hot chocolate mix with 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until dissolved, then add a splash of milk, a candy cane, and 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows. Enjoy while hot.
- Creamy Version: Mix 1/4 cup of hot chocolate mix with 1 cup of boiling water and 1 cup of whole milk. Stir until dissolved, then add a candy cane and 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows. Enjoy while hot.
- Crock Pot Version: Mix 1 1/2 cups of mix with 6 cups of boiling water and 6 cups of milk. Pour into a crockpot and turn to the low setting. Once the hot chocolate is hot enough for your liking, turn the heat to warm. Stir well before serving.
Giving the Mix as Gifts
- To make into gift jars, pour 1 cup of hot cocoa mix into a 12-ounce jar. Add a thin layer of dark chocolate chips, then fill the rest of the jar with marshmallows.
- Screw on a lid. Punch a hole in the wrapper of a mini candy cane and thread it on a ribbon, then tie it in a bow around the jar. Include a gift tag on the jar with directions on how to use the mix. Here’s my free printable tags.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this hot chocolate mix recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American