This quick and easy hot chocolate mix in a jar makes a great Christmas gift! You can mix up just one serving of this creamy hot chocolate in minutes, and enjoy it with marshmallows and a candy cane. Now you can satisfy your hot cocoa craving anytime this winter!
- 3 cups powdered whole milk or nonfat milk (285g)
- 3 cups granulated sugar (600g)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (86g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (16g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Making the Powder
- Sift all the ingredients into a large bowl. You might need to push the last bits of the powdered milk through the sieve with a spoon.
- Whisk until blended, making sure that there are no streaks of unmixed ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from direct light for up to 6 months.
Making the Hot Chocolate
- Low-Fat Version: Stir 1/4 cup mix with 2 cups of boiling water until dissolved, then add a splash of milk, a candy cane, and 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows. Enjoy while hot.
- Creamy Version: Stir 1/4 cup mix with 1 cup of boiling water and 1 cup of whole milk until dissolved, then add a candy cane and 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows. Enjoy while hot.
- Crock Pot Version: Stir 1 1/2 cups mix with 6 cups of boiling water and 6 cups of milk. Pour into a crockpot and turn to the low setting. Once the hot chocolate is hot enough for your liking, turn the heat to warm. Stir well before serving.
Giving as Gifts
- To make into gift jars, pour 1 cup of the powder into a 12-ounce jar. Add a thin layer of dark chocolate chips, then fill the rest of the jar with marshmallows.
- Screw on a lid. Punch a hole in the wrapper of a mini candy cane and thread it on a ribbon, then tie it in a bow around the jar. Include a gift tag on the jar with directions. Here's my free printable tags.
- Sift to remove any lumps.
- Want a coffee flavor? Add a teaspoon of espresso powder.
- Want extra creaminess? Use whole milk powder instead of nonfat milk powder.
- Giving these as gifts? Layer the ingredients in jars and use my free printable tags to make a pretty gift.
- It will keep for 6 months sealed in an airtight jar or container.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy homemade hot chocolate mix, hot chocolate mix in a jar