We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Are you looking for a soup to make that is really healthy plus tastes amazing? Carrot ginger soup is your answer. It’s low carb and high in vitamins A and C, plus it only has 248 calories. Ginger root and coconut milk also add to the health benefits this soup provides.
This carrot soup isn’t pureed baby food, as it’s packed with unique flavors. Toasting the coriander and cumin first, then adding lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this soup a grown-up taste that kids and adults will enjoy.
What I love about this soup is you can make it the day before for a dinner party, and then just warm it up. It makes a terrific appetizer when you’re having company over for a special meal. On the other hand, it also is wonderful at dinner served along side our apple, blue cheese, walnut salad, sweet potato dinner rolls, and best Caesar mocktail.
Looking for other delicious recipes to serve with this carrot ginger soup? Try these ones!
Apple, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Salad: get your vitamins from our popular salad recipe.
Soft and Fluffy Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls: these delightful rolls have a hint of cinnamon and are easy to make.
Best Caesar Mocktail: a classic Canadian beverage made with just a few ingredients.Print
Carrot ginger soup is an easy vegetarian recipe that is also low carb. This healthy dinner idea combines coconut milk, ginger and lemons with coriander and cumin. Cook up a batch of this creamy carrot ginger soup tonight!
For the Soup
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
For the Garnish
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cilantro sprigs
- In a small frying pan, toast the coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, stirring frequently. Don’t add any oil to the spices as they toast.
- At the same time, heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cumin, coriander, and lemon peel and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer covered for 25 minutes or until the carrots are very tender.
- Puree the soup in a blender in small batches.
- Return the soup to the pot. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and white pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Serve warm.
- This soup tastes great the next day. If you are planning a dinner party, you can make this the day before.