Creamy bow tie pasta with ham and peas is an easy recipe to serve your family for dinner tonight. Learn how to make this simple main dish that uses up leftover holiday ham. Your kids will lick their plate clean.
- 1 pound bow tie pasta (5 cups dried; 453g)
- 2 tablespoons butter (30g)
- 1/3 cup spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (30g)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipped cream (590 ml)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (105g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup ham, cut into 1/4 inch strips (113g)
- 1 cup peas, frozen or fresh (115g)
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (42g)
- Cook the bow tie pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta. Place the pasta in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of pasta water.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat, then saute the spring onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute one minute, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour on the veggies, whisking constantly, and cook for one minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. Gradually add the heavy cream while whisking until smooth. Continue to whisk in the mascarpone, Parmesan, and the dry mustard to get a smooth sauce. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add the ham and peas, and heat through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and mix well to coat the pasta. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with reserved parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this creamy bow tie pasta with ham and peas recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ham and pasta recipes, pasta with ham and cheese