Cheesy ham and potato casserole is a simple family favorite. This make ahead recipe uses leftover ham and russet potatoes, and has a creamy homemade cheese sauce. It’s an all-in-one meal that shouts home cooked comfort.
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (43g)
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 red onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (45g)
- 3 cups whole milk (710 ml)
- 3 cups white sharp cheddar cheese, grated (621g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (60g)
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
Making the Potato Mixture
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring it to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork tender, then drain.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut up the ham, green pepper, and red onions.
- Saute the green peppers and onion in butter until soft.
- Gently stir together the potatoes, peppers, onion and corn in a large bowl.
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Gradually add the milk, constantly whisking until the sauce is smooth. Cook until it thickens, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Remove the sauce from the heat and mix it into the potato mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Assembling the Casserole
- Pour the cheesy potato mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and smoked paprika if desired.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes. Allow to set for a few minutes, then serve warm garnished with fresh parsley, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- This casserole freezes well. Thaw it out overnight in the fridge, then reheat it in the oven at 300 F for 30 minutes. Garnish with a fresh sprinkle of cheese and paprika on top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: recipes, leftover