This recipe for healthy green beans with bacon and mushrooms is made totally from scratch. Fresh green beans, olive oil, mushrooms, shallots, and bacon come together to make this delicious low carb Thanksgiving side dish. You’ll be proud to serve this to your family!
- 3 pounds fresh green beans (1.36 kg)
- 6 slices low-sodium bacon, crumbled (42g)
- 1 pound button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced (453g)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (30g)
- 3 medium shallots, sliced in rings (90g)
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (15 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (23g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Top and tail the green beans and cut them into 2-inch lengths.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Submerge them and cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shock in an ice water bath for a few minutes. Drain again.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet, flipping it with a fork. Drain it on paper towels until cooled, then crumble it into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms until they have turned brown and all the liquid is gone.
- Remove the mushrooms, add more butter, and cook the shallots until golden.
- Remove the shallots, then pour in 1/4 cup of white wine to deglaze the pan. Scrape off the browned bits of mushrooms and shallots.
- Return the mushroom, bacon, shallots, and beans to the skillet. Turn heat down to medium low to heat through.
- Meanwhile, whisk the oil, vinegar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Once they are heated through, remove from the heat and pour the dressing over the beans and toss to combine.
- Chop the walnuts and toast them in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Watch them closely, as they burn easily.
- Rinse and chop the flatleaf parsley.
- Add walnuts to the green beans and toss again, then garnish with chopped parsley. Serve warm.
- Keep the mushrooms large if you have picky eaters in your family.
- You can also top the green beans with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for extra flavor.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fresh, with bacon