Tasty Southern recipes can bring families together by enjoying homemade cooking at weeknight dinners, and this Georgia Brunswick stew recipe is no exception. Pulled pork, chicken, tomatoes, and other veggies simmer together in this flavorful country comfort food. May I have seconds, please?
For the Aromatics
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 3 cups yellow onion, diced (432g)
- 4 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
For the Spices
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (75 ml)
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, like Tabasco
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Carolina vinegar style tangy BBQ sauce, like Heinz (354 ml)
- 1 1/2 cup Carolina mustard style BBQ sauce, like Heinz (354 ml)
For the Meat
- 1 pound pulled chicken, fresh or frozen (453g)
- 1 pound pulled pork, fresh or frozen (453g)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock (946 ml)
- 3 cups chicken drippings from two roasted chickens, fat removed (or substitute with additional chicken stock) (709 ml)
For the Veggies
- 48 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, no salt added (1.36 kg)
- 4 cups vine ripe tomatoes (6 medium) (686g)
- 4 cups yellow corn kernels, fresh or frozen (optional) (600g)
- 4 cups baby lima beans, fresh or frozen (704g)
Preparing the Aromatics
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat until shimmering. Saute the onions for a few minutes until soft, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
Seasoning the Brunswick Stew
- Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in the first 6 spices. Let cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, then add the two BBQ sauces.
Adding in the Meat & Stock
- Add in all the meat, and stir well to coat the meat in the spices and BBQ sauce. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step makes the meat more flavorful.
- Pour in the chicken stock and drippings from the roasted chicken. (If you don't have any chicken drippings, just use additional chicken stock.)
Mixing in the Veggies
- While the meat is simmering, dice the fresh tomatoes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, then add the canned and fresh tomatoes, corn, and butter beans to the stew. Cover and bring to a boil, stirring every few minutes to prevent the bottom from burning. This should take about 15 minutes. Once it starts to boil, stir and lower the heat to medium-low, uncover, and simmer for at least an hour. I let mine simmer for 3 hours so the flavors could meld and the lima beans could soften.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Just note that this recipe is on the upper end of the mild range.
- Serve immediately with cornbread and sweet tea or let it cool and refrigerate.
- Have leftovers that need freezing? Allow it to cool then place in an airtight container or zip top freezer bag for up to two months.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: southern, georgia