French grated carrot salad is an easy recipe that is simple, healthy, and economical. This classic French side dish is both vegan and vegetarian friendly. Grated carrots and fresh parsley are tossed with a lemon vinaigrette to create a light refreshing salad that is also great for weight loss.
For the Salad
- 4 cups finely grated carrot, from 6 large carrots (444g)
- 3/4 cup flatleaf parsley, chopped (25g)
For the Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, from 4 room-temperature lemons (reserve 2 tablespoons; 120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (reserve 1/4 teaspoon for the end)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and peel 6 large carrots, then cut off their tops and ends. Finely grate them with a box grater to get 4 cups (444g), then place the grated carrot in a mixing bowl.
- Cut four room-temperature lemons in half, then squeeze their juice until you have 1/2 cup (120 ml). Reserve two tablespoons (30 ml) of lemon juice to use later.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar to make the lemon vinaigrette.
- Pour over the carrots and mix together with a spoon or toss with your hands. The carrot salad should be moist, but not overly juicy.
- Sprinkle on the fresh parsley and gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. I added the reserved lemon juice and sugar at this step.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Check the seasonings before serving.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this French grated carrot salad recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Grated
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: carrot salad recipes without mayonnaise, shaved carrot salad