Egg in the hole recipe with crab salad and Gouda is a healthy breakfast recipe for families. Make your mornings extra special for the kids by making this homemade tasty grilled cheese and egg sandwich. It's easy, can be eaten on the go, and has a delightful twist. You'll love it!
- 1 loaf of thinly sliced white bread, like Pepperidge Farm (18 slices)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (85g)
- 1/2 cup crab salad
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups smoked Gouda cheese, grated (7-8 ounces or 198-226g)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Make the crab salad ahead of time. Cover it and store in the fridge.
- Make 6 stacks of bread three slices high. Butter the top and bottom slices in the stack.
- Cut out a hole in the center of the bread stack using a biscuit cutter. Save the bread circles to make sandwiches with the leftover crab salad for lunch time or a late afternoon snack.
- Take off the first slice of bread in each stack. Add two teaspoons of crab salad to each bread stack. Spread it evenly with a spoon. Put the top slice back on the stack with the buttered side showing.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl. Break the yolk with the tongs of a fork and lightly beat. Add 1/3 cup of grated Gouda cheese. Mix together with a fork.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat and swirl it around the pan. Add three stacks of bread, placing the butter side down. Carefully pour the egg and cheese mixture into one hole. Add eggs to the other bread stacks, then sprinkle salt and pepper over the eggs.
- Cook until the bread is a nice golden brown color, roughly 2 minutes, then carefully flip over with a metal spatula.
- Cook the other side 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the skillet and place on a large plate.
- Cook the remaining three stacks of bread with the crab salad just like in steps 5 to 8. Serve warm.
- Don't have time for the crab salad? Use crab mixed with a bit of mayo, dill, salt, white pepper, and paprika.
- Use the leftover circles of bread for tea sandwiches. Fill them with the leftover crab salad.
- Butter and fry the leftover bread circles. Serve them with the egg in the holes.
- Want a runny yolk? Separate the egg, pour the whites in the hole, and cook until set. Add the yolk and cook until runny.
- Want to make it for a crowd? Make a sheet pan version and bake at 400 F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg toast sandwich, egg in a hole with cheese