We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
For as long as I can remember, our family has been making homemade whipped cream. All you need is heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar, a little splash of vanilla extract, and an electric mixer (or some elbow grease if you’re doing it by hand!). We love to serve whipped cream with strawberry shortcake, pumpkin pie, and chocolate pudding pie. It’s versatile, delicious, and so quick and easy to make! You will never want to use store-bought whipped cream again after tasting this.
I’d highly recommend using either an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer to make whipped cream. Using one of these valuable kitchen tools is a lifesaver to your arm! 💪
An interesting tidbit of info is that sweetened whipped cream flavored with vanilla is called Chantilly cream in Europe. Over there, whipped cream refers to cream that has been whipped without any sugar or vanilla added. Feel free to try that sometime; in my opinion it’s even more delicious than sweetened whipped cream. 😋
Pour the cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl.
Whisk until it reaches your desired stiffness, which will depend upon its use.
Soft whipped cream, on the left, is better for spooning onto berries and desserts, while stiff whipped cream is better for piping.
Serve immediately, or keep tightly covered in the fridge for a few hours. Don’t keep it too long, as it may turn watery.Print
Homemade whipped cream is so easy and delicious, you’ll never want to eat store-bought whipped cream after tasting this recipe.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl and beat on medium speed until it reaches the desired stiffness.
- Serve immediately, or keep tightly covered in the fridge for a few hours. Don’t leave it in the fridge too long, as the cream will start to separate.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar and vanilla extract to your taste. To change things up, you can omit them entirely, which makes for extra-creamy tasting whipped cream. 😋
- For a flavorful touch, add a little pumpkin pie spice or liqueur to the cream before you whip it. You can also replace the vanilla extract with another flavoring if you’d like. Fold in some berries after the cream is whipped for an extra-special touch.
- Savory whipped cream is possible! Bring the cream to a simmer, add crushed herbs and spices (caraway, fennel, basil, oregano, thyme, or tarragon), and let the mixture steep for 30 minutes. Strain out the herbs and chill the cream thoroughly before whipping.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Whipped
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: how to make, at home