We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Do you like coconut desserts? I think it’s a lovely flavor to enjoy during spring. This coconut cream pie is creamy, lightly sweet, and simple to make, which is always a good combination. 😊
One of my favorite parts of this pie is the toasted coconut on top. The crunchy golden coconut flakes are so addicting that you’ll want to sprinkle some extra on each slice. (Don’t worry, the recipe makes extra toasted coconut so you can do just that!) Toasting the coconut only takes about 3 minutes and adds a lovely touch to this delightful dessert.
Another handy feature of this coconut cream pie is that it keeps quite well in the fridge for a few days. Storing it in a cake carrier is an easy to way to keep it covered, since plastic wrap can stick to the whipped cream. I encourage you to make this dessert sometime soon!
You’ll want to make and pin these other delicious spring dessert recipes, too.
Incredibly Easy Coconut Macaroons: no mixer is required for these chewy coconut cookies.
Quick and Easy Key Lime Pie: a refreshingly tangy pie that takes just a few ingredients.
Easy Glazed Lemon Scones: a delightful lemony treat that tastes fabulous with homemade lemon curd.Print
This easy coconut cream pie is a delightful old fashioned dessert with a creamy coconut pudding, sweet whipped cream, and a toasted coconut topping. This from scratch recipe will help you create a mouthwatering dessert you won’t soon forget.
For the Coconut Custard Filling
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk (1 2/3 cups or 399 ml)
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk (315 ml)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup caster sugar (128g)
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch (45g)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (120g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Pastry
- 1 9-inch pie shell, fully baked (using homemade pastry)
For the Topping
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream (295 ml)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar (18g)
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes (30g)
Making the Coconut Custard Filling (25 minutes + cooling)
- Pour the coconut milk and whole milk into a medium saucepan and set over medium heat until just simmering, stirring occasionally.
- While the milks are heating, beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer until pale and thick. Beat in the cornstarch until well blended.
- Once the milk is gently simmering, remove from the heat for 30 seconds, then gradually pour into the egg mixture, whisking all the while.
- Pour the custard back into the saucepan and set over medium heat, whisking continuously, until it has thickened.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and sweetened coconut flakes, then spread evenly in a pre-baked pastry shell. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate until you’re ready to decorate.
Decorating the Pie (15 minutes + optional chilling)
- Toast the coconut by spreading it evenly on a small cookie sheet and roasting it at 350 F for about 3 minutes. Watch it closely to prevent it from burning.
- Pour the cream and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the whipped cream is stiff enough not to fall out the bowl when it’s turned upside down.
- Spread the cream evenly over the cooled coconut filling and sprinkle the toasted coconut over top.
- Chill the pie until ready to serve.
If you want to make this pie fully from scratch, make your own easy sweet pastry and blind bake it at 400 F until it’s fully cooked. This is what I did for this recipe, and I think the homemade pastry gives it an extra nice touch.