These buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies are real simple to make! You’ll love the subtle flavor of Earl Grey tea and lemon in these classic cookies. Enjoy them with a cup of tea or a London Fog.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (225g)
- 2 tablespoons Earl Grey tea leaves, about 7 tea bags (12g)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (56g)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- Place the butter, Earl Grey tea leaves, salt, and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth and blended, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat until well mixed, then scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and mix again. Sift in the flour and mix gently until a smooth dough forms. Be careful not to overmix the dough, or it will make the shortbread tough.
- Dump the shortbread dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around the dough and shape it into a log, twisting the ends to seal. (You can make more than one log if you like.) Place in the freezer until the dough is firm but not completely frozen, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Slice the log into 1/4 inch slices with a sharp serrated knife and place the cookies on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Store the trays in the fridge until the oven is preheated.
- Bake each tray for 12-15 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Use a spatula to transfer them to wire racks and allow them to cool. Serve with a cup of Earl Grey tea.
- Need soft butter fast? Cut it cubes and microwave it in 5 second bursts until softened, stirring well between each one.
- Don't handle the dough too much. That will make the cookies tough.
- Chill thoroughly. You can only slice the dough when it's hardened.
- The cookies are done when they are a light gold around the edges.
- Store leftovers at room temperature. Cover them tightly with plastic wrap or put in a cookie tin.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: shortbread, earl grey shortbread, cookie