Dill pickle soup is an easy recipe that is inspired from Poland. Make this low carb soup in your crock pot or on your stovetop. It’s simple to adapt for keto, gluten free, or vegetarian diets. This creamy soup makes a tasty hearty, meal that will warm you up on cold nights.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (28g)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced (186g)
- 1/4 cup white wine (60 ml)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth (1.42 liters)
- 1 cup grated carrot (100g)
- 4 cups reduced sodium dill pickles, chopped (787g)
- 1 cup dill pickle juice (236 ml)
- 5 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced (775g)
- 3 1/2 cups country ham, diced, optional (540g)
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream (250g)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (60g)
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven until bubbly, then cook the onions over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are caramelized, roughly 15 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring in 1/4 cup white wine and stirring constantly for two minutes to scrape up the golden-brown fond from the pan.
- Pour in the chicken stock and pickle juice, then add the pickles, carrots, potatoes and ham to the broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Measure out 1 cup of sour cream into a medium-sized bowl and slowly add the flour. Stir well to combine.
- Temper the sour cream by adding 1/2 cup of the hot soup to the sour cream mixture, whisking constantly. Add another 1/2 cup and whisk until the mixture is well blended and all the same temperature, then add it to the big pot. This technique helps prevent the sour cream from curdling when it’s added a hot liquid.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the pepper and sugar. Taste it then add salt to taste and adjust other seasonings as desired. Cook on medium low for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with a garnish of fresh dill, a crack of black pepper, pickle coins, and a drizzle of sour cream.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Follow steps 1 and 2.
- Add the chicken stock, pickle juice, caramelized onion, diced ham, diced potatoes and grated carrot into a large crock pot.
- Stir and cover. Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 to 8 hours.
- During the last 1/2 hour of cooking, stir in 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Cut up the potatoes, ham, and dill pickles, so they are roughly the same size for the best texture.
- The Polish pair this dish with rye bread, but honestly any crusty, hearty bread will be wonderful if you are looking for a carb to serve with it.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Polish
Keywords: dill pickle soup, dill pickle soup calories