Detox Moroccan lentil stew is a gluten free recipe that will help cleanse your body this fall. This hearty stew is full of sweet potatoes, lentils, turmeric, and vegetables. Make this healthy stew in your crock pot or on the stovetop and get your clean eating and weight loss goals back on track fast.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (45 ml)
- 2 cups onion, chopped (242g)
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced (66g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth (reserve 2 cups for the end; 1.41 liters)
- 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes (425g)
- 3 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (480g)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (120 ml)
- 1 1/2 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed (304g)
- 4 cups spinach and baby kale (75g)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until the oil shimmers. Add the carrots and onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add all the spices and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. This is called blooming, and will intensify the flavor of the spices.
- Dump in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, the rinsed lentils, and diced tomatoes and mix until well combined.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent the stew from burning.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add 1-2 cups of vegetable broth or water to thin the soup, then add the spinach and kale mixture. Slowly stir until all the spinach and kale is wilted.
- At the end mix in 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro and stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice for some extra brightness.
- Serve warm. Garnish each bowl of soup with the other 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt would be other tasty garnishes.
- Use dried chickpeas that have been soaked overnight then peeled of their skins to be more authentic.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: lentil soup, vegetarian, moroccan