Make your favorite Christmas cookie vegan with this easy gingersnap recipe. They’re full of spicy flavors and have a crunchy texture that you will love! This recipe is also gluten free friendly.
- 1 cup vegan butter (225g)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar (300g)
- 1/3 cup molasses (125g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour (420g)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling (66g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two 11x17-inch cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed. The mixture should be light in color and fluffy. (I love using this special paddle attachment to make mixing easy and quick.)
- Stir in the molasses and vanilla along with a large spoonful of the flour mixture to prevent curdling.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture on low speed until blended. If the dough is too sticky to roll into balls, mix in another 2-4 tablespoons of flour.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon-sized balls, then roll the balls in granulated sugar.
- Space the cookies well apart on the prepared trays. I like to bake 12 cookies per tray to give them room to spread.
- Bake the gingersnaps at 350 F for 15 minutes, then let them cool completely on wire racks before eating.
- Store leftover gingersnaps by themselves in a metal cookie tin to keep them crisp for up to 1 week. (Storing them in plastic containers and bags or with other cookies will soften them.)
- Use room temperature vegan butter.
- Oil the measuring cup before measuring the molasses. This will help it not to stick to the cup.
- Want more cookies per batch of dough? Roll the dough into smaller balls.
- Want a softer, more chewy cookie? Bake for 12 minutes instead of 15.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crispy, ginger cookies