We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Classic creamy tomato soup is one of my favorite soups. Busy Baker 🍞 and I love to dip our grilled cheese sandwiches in it. My version of a classic tomato soup combines yellow and spring onions with fresh celery instead of celery salt. A diced potato is added to thicken the soup instead of a flour-based roux. I used diced canned tomatoes instead of whole to save time, but if you prefer to save a little bit of money, use the whole. If you choose to go this route, remove the tomato seeds, as they could make the soup taste bitter. I also used chicken broth, but feel free to substitute vegetable broth if you are looking for a vegetarian option.
To cut the calories without sacrificing the taste, I used whole milk and heavy cream instead of only using cream. If you want your soup extra smooth, use a stand blender instead of an immersion blender. It does take more time, but the end result is so worth it.
Garnish your soup with a swirl of pesto, sour cream, grated Gruyere, parsley leaves, and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Yum! Serve this creamy tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, or homemade garlic toast, a Caesar salad, and an Arnold Palmer.
Looking for something to serve with this creamy tomato soup? Try these great recipes!
Homemade Garlic Toast: this crunchy, buttery bread is sure to liven up any Italian meal.
Classic Caesar Salad: a mouthwatering rendition of this all-time favorite salad.
Arnold Palmer Drink: an easy Southern drink that’s quite refreshing on a hot day.Print
Creamy tomato soup is an easy homemade recipe that’s better than Campbells. This healthy stovetop soup is low carb and gluten free, and is the best tomato soup for dipping your grilled cheese! Try this simple soup for lunch today.
For the Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup spring onion, sliced (white part only)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
For the Garnish
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 parsley sprigs, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the two cans of diced tomatoes, including the juice, then dump in the potato, chicken broth, and spices except the nutmeg. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom.
- Pour the soup into a large rectangular container for the soup to cool. The larger the surface area, the quicker it will cool. Place the soup in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in small batches using a blender. Pour the soup back into the original pot to reheat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the whole milk, heavy cream, and nutmeg and adjust seasonings to taste. Heat through for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each bowl with a swirl of pesto, sour cream, grated Gruyere, parsley leaves, and nutmeg. Serve warm.
Lower the sodium content by using canned tomatoes with no salt added.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy tomato soup recipe, homemade tomato soup