Creamy Southern cabbage casserole is an easy low carb recipe that is also vegetarian. Shredded red cabbage, sauteed sweet onion, cheese, and a homemade white sauce are layered in this old fashioned baked side dish. This is comfort food with a hug!
For the White Sauce
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (56g)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (30g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk (475 ml)
For the Casserole
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (115g)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped (217g)
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes (75g)
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (352g)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (114g)
- 1/4 cup whole milk, optional (60 ml)
- 2 1/2 cups extra sharp white cheddar, grated (175g)
Making the White Sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the flour and let it cook 2-3 minutes, then sprinkle on the salt and pepper and let the spices bloom for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the milk a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- Turn up the heat just past medium and whisk until the sauce boils, reduce heat to medium low, and let the sauce thicken.
- Remove the white sauce from the heat. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Making the Casserole
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, roughly 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the crushed corn flakes in the bottom of your casserole dish. Place all the shredded red cabbage next, followed by the cooked onion. Pour 4 tablespoons of the melted butter over the the shredded cabbage and onion.
- Blend the mayo with the white sauce, adding more milk if it is too thick, then evenly pour the sauce over the cabbage and onion mixture. Sprinkle the grated cheese on the top of the casserole.
- Mix the remaining 4 tablespoons of melted butter with the rest of the crushed corn flakes and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 F or until golden on top.
- Use green or savoy cabbage to change up the color and texture.
- Pre-cook the shredded cabbage with the onions for 10 minutes to have soft and tender cabbage.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy cabbage casserole, creamed cabbage with cheese