Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Cowboy caviar is a healthy recipe that is easy to make ahead for a party. Marinate this simple dip with a homemade vinegar dressing that is best served cold. Black eyed peas, black beans, shoepeg corn, and fresh raw veggies drizzled with lime juice are a winning summer combination for kids and adults alike.
Servings: 7 cups
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 11 ounce can white shoepeg corn drained and rinsed
- 8.5 ounces grape tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ rounded cup red onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup orange bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 medium lime freshly squeezed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice from 3 medium limes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño brine
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
Place all the salad ingredients except the cilantro in a large bowl and stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, jalapeño brine, freshly squeezed lime juice, sugar, garlic, and spices until well combined. Alternatively, place in a mason jar and shake.
Slowly pour dressing over the salad and stir well. Adjust seasonings to taste. Some people like it with more vinegar, sugar, salt, or lime juice.
Cover the bowl and chill the cowboy caviar for 1 to 4 hours.
Add the cilantro and more fresh lime juice before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Cowboy caviar tastes best chilled with scoop-style tortilla chips.
- Want more spice? The fresh jalapeños only provide extra crunch, but if the seeds are left you'll have a spicy kick.
- Squeeze the lime juice fresh with a citrus press or reamer for the best flavor.
- Want the best texture? Cut the vegetables small and the same size, the size of a bean.
- Need a substitute for shoepeg corn? You can substitute sweet yellow corn (fresh, canned, or frozen).
- Need lower sodium? Use no salt black eyed peas and black beans, and frozen or fresh corn instead of canned.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 447IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg