Crowd pleasing cowboy caviar is a healthy recipe that is easy to make ahead for a party. Marinate this simple dip with a homemade vinegar dressing that is best served cold. Black eyed peas, black beans, shoepeg corn, and fresh raw veggies drizzled with lime juice are a winning summer combination for kids and adults alike.
For the Salad
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 11 ounce can white shoepeg corn, rinsed and drained
- 8.5 ounces grape tomatoes, finely chopped (240g)
- 1/2 rounded cup red onion, finely chopped (140g)
- 1/3 cup orange bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (45g)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (13g))
- 1 medium lime, freshly squeezed
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from 3 medium limes; 60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno brine (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
Making the Dressing
- Mince the garlic.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, jalapeno brine, freshly squeezed lime juice, sugar, and spices in a medium bowl.
Making the Salad
- Rinse and drain the canned black eyed peas, black beans, and corn. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse the bell peppers and jalapenos, remove the seeds and membrane, and finely chop. If you have sensitive skin, wear food-safe gloves when handling the jalapenos.
- Chop the red onion and tomatoes. Add the peppers, onion, and tomato to the bowl and stir well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir well to combine the flavors. Adjust seasonings to taste. Some people like it with more vinegar, sugar, salt, or lime juice.
- Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours. (If chilling overnight, leave out tomatoes until closer to serving time.)
- Just before serving, add in the cilantro and squeeze more fresh lime juice. Stir. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve chilled with scoop-style tortilla chips, as a side salad with grilled meat, or in a lettuce wrap.
- The fresh jalapeños only extra crunch, but if the seeds are left you'll have a spicy kick.
- You can skip the chilling time, if you're in a hurry, but for the best flavor allowing time to marinate is the way to go.
- For the best texture and use as a dip, cut the vegetables small and the same size.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: cowboy caviar, texas caviar