Cowboy caviar is a healthy recipe that is easy to make ahead for a party. Marinate this simple dip with a homemade vinegar dressing that is best served cold. Black eyed peas, black beans, shoepeg corn, and fresh raw veggies drizzled with lime juice are a winning summer combination for kids and adults alike.
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounce can white shoepeg corn, drained and rinsed
- 8.5 ounces grape tomatoes, finely chopped (240g)
- 1/2 rounded cup red onion, finely chopped (140g)
- 1/3 cup orange bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped (45g)
- 1/3 cup jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (45g)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (13g))
- 1 medium lime, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from 3 medium limes; 60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño brine (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Toss: Place all the salad ingredients except the cilantro in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, jalapeño brine, freshly squeezed lime juice, sugar, garlic, and spices until well combined. Alternatively, place in a mason jar and shake.
- Pour: Slowly pour dressing over the salad and stir well. Adjust seasonings to taste. Some people like it with more vinegar, sugar, salt, or lime juice.
- Chill: Cover the bowl and chill the cowboy caviar for 1 to 4 hours.
- Squeeze: Add the cilantro and more fresh lime juice before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve: Cowboy caviar tastes best chilled with scoop-style tortilla chips.
- Want more spice? The fresh jalapeños only provide extra crunch, but if the seeds are left you'll have a spicy kick.
- Squeeze the lime juice fresh with a citrus press or reamer for the best flavor.
- Want the best texture? Cut the vegetables small and the same size, the size of a bean.
- Need a substitute for shoepeg corn? You can substitute sweet yellow corn (fresh, canned, or frozen).
- Need lower sodium? Use no salt black eyed peas and black beans, and frozen or fresh corn instead of canned.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: cowboy caviar easy, cowboy caviar ingredients