Cheesy corn casserole is a creamy Southern side dish that’s really easy to make from scratch. It’s a delicious Thanksgiving side that is great for kids or a crowd. With this recipe, you’ll learn how to make your own homemade cornbread mix, too.
For the Homemade Cornbread Mix
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Casserole
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn (reserve 1/2 the liquid)
- 1 15-ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (66g)
- 1 large egg
- 4 1/2 teaspoons diced pimento
- 4 1/2 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions (green part only)
Making the Homemade Cornbread Mix
- Stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Make sure it’s well mixed.
Making the Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Put the butter in a 9×9-inch casserole dish, and let it melt in the oven. Once melted, take the dish out of the oven.
- Dump the can of whole kernel corn and half of its liquid into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the creamed corn, sour cream, shredded cheese, pimentos, and green onion and mix well.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
- If desired, let the corn batter sit for 5 minutes in the bowl for a lighter texture and a higher rise.
- Pour all the ingredients into the hot, buttered casserole dish. Be careful, as the dish is still hot.
- Bake for 1 hour, then check to see if it’s done. It may need another 10 minutes. It will be done when it has a golden brown, cracked top, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
- If you want to add more color, try diced red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers or cilantro.
- Make your own cornbread mix.
- Use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned.
- Let the corn batter rest for 5 minutes before baking for a lighter texture and a higher rise.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy, from scratch