Copycat Chick-fil-A Cobb salad is a healthy DIY recipe that’s meal prep and keto friendly. Learn how to make CFA’s most popular salad in the convenience of your own home. This protein packed recipe includes the avocado lime ranch dressing and the brine and seasoning for the chicken.
Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
- 2 ripe Haas avocados, mashed (220g)
- 1/2 cup mayo (110g)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar (60 ml)
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (45 ml)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (45 ml)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (leave out for keto)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon water, to thin (15 ml)
Grilled Chicken Nuggets
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/2 cup pickle juice (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup whole milk (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (18g; leave out for keto)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped (146g)
- 5 cups spring mix (96g)
- 1 cup red or green cabbage, shredded (66g)
- 1/2 cup monterey jack, grated (40g)
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar, grated (40g)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (7 ml)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels (50g; leave out for keto)
- 5 slices bacon, crumbled (45g)
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 16 grape tomatoes, rinsed
- 2 large chicken breasts, grilled and cut into nuggets (400g)
- 1/2 cup avocado lime dressing (120 ml)
Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
- Place all the dressing ingredients (except the olive oil) into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle the extra virgin olive oil into the dressing.
- Thin the dressing with a little water, then taste and adjust seasonings. Add a bit more acid (vinegar, buttermilk, or lemon juice) if necessary.
- Use a spatula to help remove the dressing from the food processor and pour into a bowl or jar. Cover and refrigerate.
Grilled Chicken Nuggets
- Place a large boneless skinless chicken breast in a gallon freezer zip-top bag. Pound the chicken thin with a meat mallet. Repeat the process with the other chicken breast, then put both of them back into the bag.
- Make the brine by whisking together the pickle juice and milk. Pour it into the zip-top bag, seal, and refrigerate the chicken for 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Make the seasoning by mixing together the dried spices and lemon zest. Transfer to a mason jar, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before grilling. Place each breast on a plate and blot off extra brine with a paper towel. Sprinkle all of the seasoning on both sides of each chicken breast.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large cast iron grill pan, and set over medium high heat until it’s shimmering. Carefully add the chicken breast and cook for one minute, then lower the heat to medium low and cook for another 4 minutes. Turn the meat with a metal spatula and cook the other side for 4 to 5 minutes. It is done when the meat has an internal temperature of 165 F with a meat thermometer.
- When done, place the meat on a plate and tent with foil or wax paper for 10 minutes. Repeat the process with the other chicken breast. Allow to cool, and then cut into large nuggets. Pour any plate drippings on the nuggets.
- Cook the bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. After one minute, turn the heat down to medium low and cook until brown and crispy, flipping the bacon with a fork. When it’s done, drain on a paper towel lined plate and blot the extra grease off. Allow to cool, then crumble into 1/4-inch pieces.
- While the bacon is cooking, fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Use a spoon to slowly lower 8 eggs into the water. Reduce the heat to medium low and put the lid askew. Cook for 9 minutes, drain the water out of the pot, then submerge the eggs into an ice water bath to halt the cooking process. When the eggs are cool, peel and slice. (Tip: Eggs slice better when they’re cold.)
- When the bacon and eggs are cooking, start roasting the corn kernels. Pour 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil into a small cast iron skillet set over medium high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the corn. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. The kernels are done when browned or charred to your liking.
- In a very large bowl, mix the romaine and spring mix together.
- To assemble the salad, place 2 1/4 cups of greens on each plate, then sprinkle on the red cabbage.
- Sprinkle on the two cheeses and the roasted corn kernels.
- Next add the bacon, sliced egg, and grape tomatoes, then finish it off with 8 to 9 grilled chicken nuggets.
- When ready to eat, pour on the avocado lime dressing and enjoy immediately.
- Total time does not include time for the meat to brine.
- Taste the dressing and adjust for acidity. CFA’s is really acidic.
- Brine the chicken for at least 6 hours to up to 24 hours.
- In the spice rub, don’t leave out the freshly grated lemon zest.
- Assemble the salad just before eating, for maximum freshness.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: recipe, keto, salad dressing