We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Classic marinara sauce has an amazing rich tomato red color. Fresh parsley, basil, oregano are some of my favorite spices and they shine brilliantly in this dish. I have been perfecting this sauce, and I’m so excited to share it with you!
Adding brown sugar helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but still lets the sauce have a certain brightness. To maximize the flavor, let it sit overnight in the fridge. This marinara sauce tastes fantastic on freshly cooked pasta, in stews, as a dipping sauce, in chicken parmesan, or on a meatball sub. Try using this sauce in our kale and quinoa stew.
Feel free to make a big batch of this classic marinara sauce as it doubles or triples with ease. I encourage you to put some of it away in the freezer to use on a busy day as it freezes extremely well.Print
This simple recipe for classic marinara sauce is one you’ll use again and again. It’s packed with flavor!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 5 1/2 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onion in olive oil then add the minced garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, fresh parsley, basil, oregano, salt and black pepper into the saucepan and stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then let it simmer uncovered for a minimum of 30 minutes. Stir every once in a while.
- You can add homemade meatballs to this sauce to give it more protein.
- This sauce can be easily doubled or tripled for a large crowd or for freezing.
- If freezing, keep in mind how you want to use this sauce: pasta, stew, dipping sauce, chicken or eggplant parmesan, or meatball sub. Measure out how much you will need for each recipe, and label each freezer bag for your intended use.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: marinara sauce from scratch, simple marinara sauce