This classic egg salad sandwich recipe is easy and creamy. It’s the perfect old fashioned recipe for kids, a party, or a picnic. Learn how to make a simple egg salad with mayo and celery, and enjoy it for lunch or a light dinner.
- 12 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup full-fat mayo, such as Duke’s
- 1 cup watercress, lightly packed
- 8 croissants
Making the Egg Salad
- Fill a Dutch oven halfway with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and carefully lower the eggs one at a time into the hot water. Make sure not to over crowd the pot, so they cook evenly.
- Keep the lid askew and cook for 10 to 14 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs. Remove the eggs with a large slotted spoon and place the eggs directly into an ice bath. Set aside to cool.
- While the eggs are cooling, wash and mince the celery, then pat it dry with a paper towel to get rid of extra moisture. Measure out the salt, white pepper, onion powder, and the mayo.
- Once the eggs are cool, carefully peel them. Rinse any remaining shells off under cold running water, then use a paper towel to dry the outside.
- Cut each egg lengthwise into eighths, then turn the slices and chop into smaller pieces.
- Add celery, spices, and mayo and stir well to combine, then adjust seasonings to taste. This is a good place to stop if you want to make this in advance. Just cover it, and store in the fridge.
Assembling the Sandwiches
- Slice the croissant in half lengthwise. Spread the egg salad on the bottom half. Scatter the watercress on top and put on the top half of the croissant.
- Serve immediately. Any leftover egg salad should be covered and refrigerated.
- Run the eggs under lukewarm water first to get the chill off so they don’t crack in the boiling water.
- Get the eggs out of the water with a large metal skimmer or a large slotted spoon.
- The temperature isn’t consistent in the fridge door, so don’t store your eggs there.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic egg salad recipe, classic egg salad sandwich