This chunky cabbage soup is loaded with healthy, flavorful vegetables. A hearty mixture of cabbage, tomatoes, celery, carrots, and green pepper makes this thick soup more like a stew. The fragrant aroma from the fried onions, garlic, celery and green peppers can get your mouth watering.
Fresh oregano is used to flavor and garnish the soup, but a drizzle of sour cream would make a stunning garnish too. This chunky cabbage soup is very satisfying when paired with our oregano onion soda bread. It’s the perfect soup to serve on a cloudy, rainy day.
There’s enough broth to make it a good consistency, but there’s lots of substance to fill your tummy. It’s not only healthy, but satisfying too.
This chunky cabbage soup is a hearty, satisfying mixture of green cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, green pepper, and other healthy vegetables.
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, 28 oz.
- 2 cups of carrots, finely chopped
- 5 cups of cabbage, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 can of tomato paste, 6 oz.
- 5 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried basil
- 3 Tbsp of fresh oregano, or 1/2 tsp of dried
- Finely chop the onion, green pepper and celery or put in a food processor.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a large dutch oven, fry the onion, celery, garlic, and green pepper in olive oil over medium high heat until cooked.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours so everything is well cooked and the flavors can meld.
I used chicken stock for this recipe.