Chocolate pudding is a simple chocolate dessert that can be made from scratch with cocoa powder. Use this old fashioned pudding in a pie, or enjoy it on its own. Learn how to make this healthy-ish dessert in just a few steps!
- 3 cups whole milk (710 ml)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (40g)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (33g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- Heat the milk. Pour the milk into a heavy-bottomed, 2-quart saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the egg yolks. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and sugar with a whisk until pale and thick. Mix in the cocoa powder, cornstarch, and espresso powder until blended.
- Temper the eggs. As soon as the milk comes to a gentle simmer, remove it from the heat and pour a little of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Whisk the milk in vigorously, then slowly trickle in the rest of the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Thicken the pudding. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently to prevent lumps, and cook until the pudding has thickened.
- Strain. Remove the pudding from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour the pudding through a mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Chill. You can enjoy the pudding when it’s warm or cold. If you prefer to have it cold, pour the pudding into a bowl or dish and press a piece of plastic wrap right onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming on its surface. Chill for at least 2 hours, or until cold, then serve.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this chocolate pudding recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best chocolate pudding recipe, chocolate pudding ingredients, how to make chocolate pudding