This quick and easy recipe shows you how to make sofritas that taste better than Chipotle's. Learn how to make this plant-based copycat meal into a spicy burrito bowl to please all your vegan and gluten free friends.
- 14 ounces organic tofu, super or extra firm, drained (400g)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided (60 ml)
- 1 poblano pepper
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce (30 ml)
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (15 ml)
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup filtered water (60 ml)
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Press & Crumble Tofu: If you use super firm, water drained tofu that's been vacuum packed, you don't have to press it; just drain any excess moisture from the package. If you use extra firm tofu that is water packed, drain the water, then press it for 30 minutes between layers of paper towel. A weighted down cast iron skillet works perfectly for this. Once it's pressed, crumble the tofu into smaller pieces with your hands and place it on top of a paper towel-lined cutting board.
- Char Poblano Pepper: Raise the oven rack to the second highest position and turn the broiler on high. Using a pastry brush, brush the poblano pepper with olive oil and place it on a small baking tray. Broil for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Once it's blistered, remove it from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Remove the stem and discard, then chop it into large chunks, keeping the seeds.
- Make Sauce: Place the charred poblano, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, spices, apple cider vinegar, salsa, salt, and nutritional yeast in a food processor. Puree for 30 seconds, then slowly pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil while the processor is on and keep blending until it's smooth. This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups of sauce.
- Brown Tofu: Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Dump in the crumbled tofu, then lower the heat to medium. Pan fry the tofu for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's golden brown. Add more olive oil if necessary to keep it from sticking.
- Braise the Sofritas: Add the sauce to the tofu and stir with a large wooden spoon until well combined. Pour in the water and stir. Bring to a light boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add a bit more water, if necessary, to make it saucy. Serve with lime wedges and other Chipotle copycat recipes.
- Want to save time? Use super firm vacuumed packed organic tofu; you can skip the 30 minutes of pressing time.
- Want it sweeter? Add a bit of sugar to taste.
- Want more umami flavor? Make sure to use nutritional yeast.
- Want it to have the best flavor? Make it spicy, as the spice will be leveled out when you add rice, guacamole and pico de gallo. Plus, sofritas taste less spicy the next day.
- Want it more spicy? Replace the poblano with a jalapeno, serrano or habanero pepper.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Supper
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chipotle sofritas recipe, plant based sofritas