Copycat Chipotle pinto bean recipe is easy to make on the stovetop or crockpot. Learn how to make this vegan Mexican side from scratch to use in burritos, salads, or with rice. There’s no soaking the beans, so it speeds up the process!
- 1/4 cup olive oil (60 ml)
- 4 cups yellow onion, chopped (576g)
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 4 cups dried pinto beans (2 pounds; 907g)
- 4 bay leaves
- 9 cups filtered water (2.13 liters)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Rinse the dried pinto in a large metal colander and pick out any that you don’t want.
- In a Dutch oven set over medium high heat, heat the olive oil until it’s shimmering, roughly 2 minutes. Saute the onion for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally with a large wooden spoon, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Sprinkle on the cumin and the Mexican oregano, and let the spices bloom for 30 seconds to 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Stir in the adobo sauce and the chopped chipotle peppers. Add the bay leaves, dried rinsed pintos, and the water, then stir until well mixed.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, or until the pintos are tender, but not mushy. Stir every 15 minutes to prevent them from sticking to the bottom. If necessary, add more water during the cooking process so they don’t dry out.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, remove the bay leaves, then add the salt and the black pepper.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat, uncover, and allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the lime and lemon juice. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro on top as a garnish.
- Serve warm in burritos or burrito bowls with other copycat Chipotle recipes.
- Make it easier on you, don’t soak the beans.
- Don’t substitute or leave out the chipotle peppers or adobo sauce.
- Use dried beans and cook them low and slow.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Copycat Chipotle Pinto Beans, Nutrition