Chilled cucumber soup is a perfect to serve when company comes over. This soup comes together in only 20 minutes and requires no cooking. The only kitchen appliances that are needed are a blender and a refrigerator. It is best to make this the night before your dinner party, so the soup has plenty of time to chill and for the flavors to blend. But if you are in a hurry, one hour of chill time can suffice.
Once the cucumbers, green onion and lemon is prepped, it is smooth sailing! 👍 Just dump everything into your blender, press the puree button, and watch your delicious soup materialize before your very eyes. Pour into a bowl, cover, and chill. When ready to serve, pour into four bowls. Garnish one side with a sprinkle of green onion, lemon zest, and a tiny dollop of sour cream. Use a toothpick to swirl the sour cream into a pretty curved line.
Chilled cucumber soup makes a great first course to a fancy meal during the holidays. If you prefer, double the serving size and it will make a nice light lunch, especially when paired with our freshly baked Oatmeal Molasses Bloomer.Print
Chilled cucumber soup is a refreshing, no-cook soup with English cucumbers, lemon, vegetable broth, and spices. It’s super easy and quick to make–just puree everything in a blender.
- 3 English cucumbers, peeled and chopped (reserve 1/2 cuke for garnish, sliced very thinly)
- 3/4 cup green onions, sliced (reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, from a whole lemon (reserve 1/2 for garnish)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon, black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sour cream (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- Wash the cucumbers. Cut one cucumber in half and slice one half very thinly. Set the slices aside on a small plate for the garnish. Peel and chop the remaining 2 1/2 cucumbers.
- Wash the green onions. Thinly slice the green part only, reserving 1/4 cup for garnish. Set the garnish aside.
- Wash and zest the lemon, setting aside 1 teaspoon of zest for garnish.
- Slice the zested lemon in half and juice one half of it. Pour the juice into a small bowl. Cut the other half of the lemon into four small wedges and reserve for another use.
- Place all the ingredients, except the garnishes, into a blender and puree. If you are doubling this recipe, puree the soup in two batches.
- Pour the soup into a bowl, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. This can also be made the night before.
- To serve, pour the soup into 4 bowls. Garnish one side of each bowl with chopped green onion, a sprinkle of lemon zest, and a dollop of sour cream that has been swirled with a toothpick. Serve a few slices of cucumber on a small plate alongside each soup bowl. Serve cold.
- A great soup to make the night before. The longer chilling time will only improve the flavor.
- For garnish, you can either thinly slice the reserved cucumber or chop it up small and serve it with the other garnishes.