Cardamom snaps are chewy, aromatic Christmas cookies that taste similar to gingersnaps. Each bite of these soft cookies is perfumed by the festive aroma of cardamom. Make this easy cookie recipe today!
- 3/4 cup lard, softened (156g)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (200g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup molasses (82g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (270g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Making the Dough (15 min)
- Beat the lard until it’s smooth in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the brown sugar, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again to fully combine.
- Beat in the molasses and egg with a few tablespoons of the flour to prevent the mixture from curdling. Scrape down the sides again, then add the flour all at once and mix until well blended.
Rolling & Baking the Cookies (20 min + 20 min baking)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the granulated sugar and cardamom in a shallow bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, weighing about 23g each, then roll each ball in the sugar mixture. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the baking stone or cookie sheet.
- Bake each tray one at a time at 375 F for about 10-12 minutes, until the cookies have cracked and the edges are set. Be careful not to overbake the cookies, since they will harden up as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the tray, then transfer to a wire rack for them to cool and harden. Enjoy.
- Make this recipe perfectly the first time. Check out the step-by-step photos and pro tips before the recipe card.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this cardamom snap recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cardamom cookies Christmas, soft cardamom cookies, cardamom snaps