These chewy caramel pecan bars are the perfect Thanksgiving snack. You’ll love every bite of this buttery shortbread base topped with gooey homemade caramel and toasted pecans. Everyone will enjoy this ultra nutty sweet treat during the holidays.
For the Shortbread Base
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened (460g)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (187g)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (390g)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (68g)
For the Caramel Pecan Topping
- 3 cups pecan halves (295g)
- 1 1/2 cups homemade caramel sauce (355 ml)
Preparing the Pan & Nuts (15 min)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the base and sides of a 9×13-inch cake pan with aluminum foil. Set the pan aside.
- Spread the pecan halves evenly on a cookie sheet. Roast them at 350 F for 10 minutes until they smell and taste toasted, stirring them halfway through. Watch the nuts so they don’t burn.
Making the Shortbread Base (10 min + 25 min cooking)
- Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until well blended and fluffy.
- Whisk together the flour and cornstarch together in a medium bowl, then gradually mix it into the butter and sugar in two or three additions.
- Press the shortbread into the prepared pan with your fingers.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes, until the base is set, lightly golden brown on top, and a darker golden brown around the edges. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Baking the Pecan Bars (5 min + 15 min baking + 2 hrs 30 min cooling)
- Mix the toasted pecans with the caramel sauce, stirring gently until evenly mixed. Spread the topping evenly over the shortbread.
- Bake at 350 for for 15 minutes until the caramel is bubbling gently.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack for until completely cold, about 30 minutes. Chill the bars for 2 hours to harden them.
- Lift the foil from the pan and place the bars on a cutting board. Cut the bars to the desired size with a sharp knife. Serve at room temperature.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for these caramel pecan bars would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caramel pecan bars, ultimate pecan bars