Make the best homemade buffalo sauce with this easy recipe. This wing sauce is made from scratch with Frank’s Red Hot, melted butter, garlic, and spices. It will definitely take your wings to the next level!
- 2/3 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce (160 ml)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (115g)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter has melted.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then remove from the heat and pour into a bowl to cool. Some fat may separate as it simmers, but this will re-incorporate as it cools.
- Let it to room temperature before using, about 30 minutes. Whisk occasionally as it cools to mix in any separated butter. The sauce will noticeably thicken and become smooth.
- Coat deep fried or baked wings in the sauce, and serve any extra on the side. Be sure to have some blue cheese salad dressing and celery sticks ready to enjoy alongside the wings.
- To store leftovers, seal it inside of a mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. It will harden when refrigerated, so you’ll need to microwave it for about 30 seconds and stir well before using to give it a pourable consistency.
- Use a vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce, like Frank’s Red Hot.
- Add more heat by decreasing the butter by 2 tablespoons, adding an extra teaspoon of vinegar, and adding cayenne pepper to taste.
- Thicken it by simmering for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk occasionally as it cools to give it a smoother texture.
- Let the sauce cool and thicken before using; this will help it stick to wings.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mild buffalo wing sauce, homemade buffalo sauce