Brussels sprouts salad with maple balsamic dressing is a healthy winter salad that’s perfect for dinner. This simple salad with bacon, pomegranate, walnuts, and cheese is sure to please. The sweet vinaigrette complements the crunchy fresh greens, making this salad temptingly delicious.
For the Salad
- 1/3 cup bacon, crumbled (4 slices)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 cups shredded brussels sprouts (336g)
- 3 cups chopped kale (40g)
- 3 1/2 cups spring mix salad greens (45g)
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils, from one pomegranate (137g)
- 1/2 cup feta or blue cheese
For the Maple Balsamic Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
For the Garnish
- drizzle of pure maple syrup
- sprinkle of salt
- reserve some bacon, walnuts, cheese and pomegranates
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, using a fork to turn the slices. Drain on paper towels and crumble into smaller pieces once cool.
- Toast the walnuts in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir constantly for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the walnuts smell fragrant and slightly change color. Let them cool in a single layer on a paper towel.
- Score the pomegranate with a paring knife from top to bottom in four places, being careful not to cut the arils inside. Submerge the pomegranate in a large bowl of water and pull it apart with your fingers. As you gently loosen the arils from the pith, they will sink to the bottom and leave the pith on top. Skim off the pulp and drain the arils.
- Slice the brussels sprouts with a sharp knife. Start by cutting off the base, then thinly slice. Rinse and drain the sliced brussels sprouts in a large colander.
- Mix the kale, salad greens, and the brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Set aside some of the bacon, walnuts, pomegranate, and cheese for garnish, and add the rest to the greens. Mix with your hands.
- Whisk the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper, then slowly stir in the olive oil. You'll have 1 cup of dressing. Store the leftovers in a mason jar in the fridge.
- Pour half of the salad dressing (roughly 1/2 cup) on to the salad and toss with salad tongs.
- Drizzle the salad with maple syrup and sprinkle with salt, then toss again. Taste and adjust the syrup and salt. Garnish with remaining bacon, walnuts, pomegranate arils, and cheese.
- To make ahead, store the greens in a bowl and the dressing in mason jar. Keep the crumbled bacon, toasted walnuts, pomegranate arils, and cheese separate. Assemble the salad just before serving.
- Pour the dressing only on what you plan on eating. The greens keep better without the dressing.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shredded, bacon, pomegranate