Our copycat broccoli cheddar soup tastes better than Panera's, and it's an easy dinner for a weeknight meal. Enjoy cheesy comfort food at its best with this gluten free and keto friendly recipe.
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (86g)
- 1 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced (214g)
- 2 cups julienned or matchstick carrots, cut in 1/2 inch lengths (138g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, for color
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour (40g)
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (1.42 L)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons carrot puree (45 ml)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli florets (435g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, for slurry (20g)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated and packed (182g)
- Cook Aromatics: Melt the butter in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat until it's bubbly. Add the onions and carrots and saute for 3 minutes.
- Bloom Spices: Add the garlic, dried spices, and Dijon mustard and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Make Roux: Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Deglaze: Pour in 1/2 cup of chicken broth, than scrape off the brown fond on the bottom of the pot with a wooden turner. Continue whisking in 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth until smooth, then pour in the other 4 cups.
- Other Ingredients: Add the sugar, pureed carrots (see notes), and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. Mix it well, then add in the broccoli florets.
- Simmer: Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes to cook the broccoli.
- Cornstarch Slurry: For a thicker soup, whisk together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water until smooth. Add it to the soup and let it simmer for 2 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add Dairy: Stir in the whole milk and the cream and let it warm through for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the shredded cheese one handful at a time. Taste and adjust seasonings, possibly adding a tiny bit more of Dijon and Tobasco. If you like your soup more yellow, add another 1/16 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Serve: Garnish with cheese is optional, but does provide extra cheesiness. Serve hot in a sourdough bread bowl or with slices of sourdough bread or French baguette.
- Save time, use matchstick carrots.
- Grate your own extra sharp cheese with a box grater; it will melt better than pre-grated.
- Fresh broccoli = best flavor and texture.
- Adding the carrot puree and turmeric will give the soup the correct color. To make the carrot puree, blend chopped raw carrots with water.
- Need this keto? Omit the carrots, flour, and sugar. Add 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum as the thickener.
- Need this gluten free? Use gluten free chicken broth and gluten free flour.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Panera Cheddar Soup Recipe, vegetarian, gluten free