Brandy butter, a sweet and fluffy blend of butter, sugar, brandy, orange zest, and vanilla, is the traditional accompaniment to plum pudding at Christmas. Just mix together the ingredients in one bowl to make this delicious gluten free brandy butter. Everyone will love this classic sauce with plum pudding, bread pudding, or mince pies during the holidays!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (115g)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (85g)
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar (200g)
- 5-7 tablespoons brandy (73-103 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl. Sift the icing sugar on top, then beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a flexible spatula, then mix in the vanilla extract and orange zest. Mix in the brandy one tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired taste. Taste and add additional sugar, vanilla, or orange zest as desired.
- Serve with hot plum pudding, bread pudding, mince pies, or Christmas cookies. If making ahead, store in the fridge until needed.
- Use both salted and unsalted butter. The salt helps cut the sweetness, while the unsalted adds a fresher flavor.
- Add the brandy slowly. It's easy to add too much, and then the flavor is overpowering. If you accidentally add too much, simply add more icing sugar and vanilla to balance it out.
- Tweak the flavorings to your taste.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, then serve it cold with Christmas desserts like plum pudding.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, and use within 1 week of thawing.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Whipped
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Christmas pudding, orange