This eggless lemon blueberry mug cake is vegan friendly and makes one convenient serving. Just mix up the batter, microwave, and enjoy. You’ll love the juicy blueberries and tangy lemon flavor in this mug cake!
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (40g)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50g)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons milk, dairy or Silk original almond milk (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil or melted butter (30 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (40g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, optional
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and pinch of salt in a 14 or 16-ounce mug.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, fat of choice (either melted butter or oil), and vanilla extract. Stir the mixture together until well blended and free from lumps, making sure to scrape the bottom of the mug to make sure that all the flour is mixed in.
- Zest a fresh lemon with a microplane grater, then gently stir the blueberries and lemon zest into the batter.
- Microwave the mug cake on high for 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Realize that the wattage of the microwave and the shape and thickness of the mug will affect how the cake cooks, so you may need to decrease or increase the time.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before eating, as it is very hot. Enjoy while warm, or cover and refrigerate for later.
- Be sure to mix the batter thoroughly; no streaks or lumps of flour should remain.
- Depending upon the microwave and mug you use, you may need to experiment with the cooking time for the mug cake.
- Make this vegan by using a non-dairy milk (I recommend Silk original almond milk) and a plant-based fat, such as light olive oil or coconut oil.
- Make this gluten free by using your favorite measure-for-measure gluten free flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry muffin in a mug, lemon mug cake