Learn how to make croutons from scratch then sprinkle them on your Caesar salad, soup, or eat warm as a snack! These crunchy golden cubes are packed with flavor from butter, herbs, and Parmesan cheese. Whether they’re for a family dinner, a party, or just for an on the go snack, they will be a big hit!
- 4 1/2 cups day-old French bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted (115g)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (13g)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Cut the bread into 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife, then cut off the crusts. Cut the bread into uniform cubes. Save the crusts for breadcrumbs or casseroles by placing them into a freezer bag.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and stir in the seasonings, except the cheese. Dump in the bread cubes and toss to coat each piece with the butter and seasonings. If necessary, add more butter or seasonings. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spread the bread cubes in a single layer over a 9×13-inch cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 300 F. Remove from oven and mix the bread cubes around to get an even golden brown color. Put back in the oven for another 10 minutes, then stir.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 F and bake for 5 minutes. Watch carefully during the last two minutes as some could brown faster than others. The goal is to have them crunchy, golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for 5 minutes. Use in a salad, as a garnish for soup or as a snack. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container on the counter away from the oven or fridge.
- Use the right amount of salted butter for the best results.
- Use day old bread to get the right texture.
- Cut the bread cubes to be uniform in size this way they will bake evenly.
- Make a double batch and freeze half, so you’ll have some for snacking on later.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best homemade croutons, homemade croutons for caesar salad