Berries are a great way to add patriotic color to your plate. There’s nothing like a ripe strawberry to get us hungry! What makes these lovely berries look even more inviting is when they’re fanned out and glazed with some honey. It’s simple to do and adds a special touch of elegance. ✨
If you have a child or grandchild, this recipe is a wonderful way to get them in the kitchen and learn some new skills like using a knife, toasting bread under the broiler, spreading cream cheese, and melting chocolate with a double boiler. Younger children will love drizzling the chocolate and cutting out the strawberry star with a miniature cookie cutter. In less than an hour, you can put together a beautiful plate of crostini that your guests will enjoy. Plus, your children can say that they’ve helped!
Looking for more delicious patriotic recipes? Pin these ones to save for later.
Firework Fruit Tray with Yogurt Dip: a festive platter of fruit that will feed a crowd.
Old Glory Veggie Tray: a creative veggie tray with a family-favorite dill dip.
Stars & Stripes Yogurt Parfaits: a kid-friendly recipe that’s perfect for a patriotic breakfast or snack.Print
Are you looking for an easy appetizer for your Independence Day celebration? Why don’t you try Berry Patriotic Crostini!
- 1 French baguette
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 small ripe strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- Slice the baguette on the diagonal in 1/2-inch slices to get 8 slices, then toast both sides of the slices under the broiler until golden brown.
- To make the cream cheese spread, beat the cream cheese until fluffy with an electric hand mixer. Add the lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- For the four fanned strawberry garnishes, make a series of cuts in the strawberry from top to bottom. Then, fan the strawberry out and brush with honey.
- For the four star strawberry garnishes, hull two strawberries and slice off the pointed end of each one to make a coin shape. Using a miniature star cookie cutter, cut out a star shape. Then, horizontally slice each strawberry to get a total of four stars.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate in a double boiler until smooth. Pour into a sandwich bag, and when you’re ready to assemble, cut off the tip to create a piping bag.
- To assemble the crostini, spread a thick layer of the cream cheese on each slice of baguette. Place the fanned strawberries and star strawberries in the center of each slice. Place five equal-sized blueberries at each point of the star. Drizzle the chocolate over the blueberry slices, and serve.