Beer cheese soup is the best soup recipe to make this fall. It’s a rich, velvety soup packed with flavor from the bacon, cheddar, and smoked Gouda. Learn how to make this low carb comfort food to warm you up on chilly nights. Serve this smoky, cheesy soup with soft pretzels at your Oktoberfest or game day party.
For the Soup
- 1/4 cup butter (57g)
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped (288g)
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped (107g)
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped (92g)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour (71g)
- 12 ounces black and tan beer, such as Yuengling (354 ml)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (945 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15g)
- 2 cups whole milk (480 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/4 cups extra sharp cheddar, grated (340g)
- 2 cups smoked Gouda, grated (170g)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
For the Garnish
- 5 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (33g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 8 soft pretzel buns for dipping (optional)
- Mirepoix. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven set over medium high heat. Saute the carrots, celery, and onion until soft and lightly browned, roughly 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Roux. Gradually sprinkle the flour into the veggies, stirring constantly over medium heat, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Beer. Pour in the beer and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes to soften the mirepoix.
- Bacon. While it is simmering, cook the bacon and blot off the excess grease. Allow to cool, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside for the garnish.
- Broth. Stir in the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, and salt, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes. Carefully pour the hot liquid, about 2 cups at a time, into a blender. Cover with lid, but leave the center hole open to let steam escape. As a safety precaution, cover the lid with an old towel and puree. Be careful with hot soup. Pour the pureed soup back into the Dutch oven, then repeat with the remaining soup.
- Milk. Turn the heat to medium, and gradually whisk in the whole milk. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so it can thicken a little.
- Cheese. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Gradually stir in the cheese until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Add hot sauce and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish. Garnish with the bacon pieces, chives, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve steaming hot or while it’s still warm with our soft German pretzel buns.
- Try big soft pretzels, crusty bread, or garlic toast for other serving suggestions.
- Try popcorn, spicy Chex mix, fresh thyme, or goat cheese for other garnishes.
- The soup will separate if it is boiled after adding the cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy beer cheese soup, beer cheese soup recipe