This old fashioned recipe for banana cream pie is sure to get your mouth watering! Make it with homemade vanilla pudding and either a graham cracker crust or a vanilla wafer crust. This will be one of the best no bake desserts you’ll have this summer.
For the Crust
- 60 vanilla wafers (224g)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (98g)
For the Vanilla Pudding
- 2 cups whole milk (473 ml)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (40g)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (43g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Pie
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (236 ml)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 firm medium bananas, peeled and sliced
Making the Crust (15 min + 30 min chilling)
- Count out 60 vanilla wafers and blend them in a food processor until they are in fine crumbs.
- Toss the crumbs with the melted butter until a handful of the mixture holds together in a clump when squeezed. You may need to add extra melted butter.
- Tightly pack the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate with a flat-bottomed measuring cup or a spoon. Chill in the freezer until hard, about 30 minutes.
Making the Vanilla Pudding (15 min + 15 min chilling)
- Pour the milk into a heavy based, 2-quart saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat until the milk is just barely simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, pour the egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Beat with a whisk or handheld electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale yellow, then whisk in the cornstarch thoroughly.
- Once the milk has reached a simmer, slowly trickle it into the egg mixture, whisking continuously as you pour. Mix until everything is evenly blended, then pour it back into the saucepan.
- Place the mixture on medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly to prevent lumps or burning. Cook until the mixture is bubbling and has thickened considerably.
- Pour the pudding through a sieve to remove any lumps, then stir in the vanilla extract and salted butter until smooth.
- Cover the surface of the pudding with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Assembling the Banana Cream Pie (15 min + 4 hrs chilling)
- Peel and slice 2 medium bananas.
- Spread half of the pudding in the prepared pie shell, then lay the sliced bananas on top. Smooth the remaining pudding on top of the bananas.
- Chill the pie uncovered for 4 hours, or until the pudding has firmed up.
- Just before serving, pour the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into a medium bowl. Whip to stiff peaks with a handheld electric mixer, then spread or pipe the cream on top of the pie.
- Slice the pie and serve it chilled.
- For an extra-crunchy vanilla wafer crust, use a metal pie plate. Freeze the crust until hard, then brush with an egg white and bake at 375 F for 7-10 minutes.
- The pleasure of a 5-star review for this banana cream pie recipe would be greatly appreciated.
- 👩🏻🍳 Want to see our latest recipes? Subscribe to our email newsletter to get our latest recipes, fun food facts, food puns, and behind the scenes news about our blog.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Chilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cream pie with pudding, banana cream pie with vanilla wafers