Bacon roasted Brussels sprouts are an easy veggie side dish seasoned with bacon, garlic, and a dressing of white balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil.
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped into thirds
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- If you choose to cook your bacon separately, take out a large cast iron skillet and cook the bacon until crisp. Check it every few minutes and flip the bacon strips over with a fork. This will take 10 to 15 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Pour the bacon grease in a small bowl and place in the fridge. Once the bacon fat is hard, it makes for easy removal if you decide to throw it out or you can keep it for another use.
- While the bacon is cooking, rinse the Brussels sprouts in a colander. Chop off the ends and peel off any damaged outer leaves. Cut each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise. Put in a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper and salt. Pour the dressing over the Brussels sprouts, toss with your hands. Pour the extra dressing that settled in the bottom of the bowl into a measuring cup. Set aside to use in step 7.
- Spread out the Brussels sprouts evenly over the prepared cookie sheet.
- Peel 6 large garlic cloves and cut into thirds. Place them randomly on the tray with Brussels sprouts.
- Slowly drizzle the extra dressing over the Brussels sprouts and garlic cloves.
- If you choose to roast the bacon with the Brussels sprouts, use kitchen shears or a sharp knife and cut the bacon strips into 1/2 inch pieces. Distribute the bacon evenly on the lined pan with the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Stir once after 17 minutes of cooking. Watch them closely during the last few minutes to prevent them from burning.
- If you choose to cook the bacon separately, do the next step. Blot the bacon of excess grease and tear into small pieces. When the sprouts are done, sprinkle bacon bits over top. Serve warm.
- This recipe gives instructions to cook the bacon two ways. Separately, to have less bacon grease on the Brussels sprouts for people who have sensitive stomachs or who are watching their calories. You can also choose to cook the bacon with the Brussels sprouts for extra flavor and easy of cooking.