We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Bacon + ranch + cheese? It’s a fantastic flavor combination that’s guaranteed to be a hit at your next party! This bacon ranch cheese ball is made without the packet ranch dressing mix but doesn’t compromise on flavor. It might just be your new favorite cheese ball!
What is a cheese ball made of?
Cheese balls are typically made of softened cream cheese mixed with grated cheese and spices. The mixture is chilled to allow it to firm up, then it’s rolled in nuts or seeds for crunch.
What can I roll a cheese ball in?
- Nuts: pecans, walnuts, almonds
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, sesame seeds
- Herbs: chopped parsley, cilantro, basil
- Other Ideas: crushed chips or pretzels, chopped green pepper, crumbled bacon
What kind of crackers go with cheese balls?
- Pita chips
- Bagel chips
- Crackers flavored with herbs or spices
What do you serve with a cheese ball?
Crackers aren’t the only thing you can serve with a cheese ball. Try different veggies, like carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, or roasted potato wedges.
How do you store a cheese ball?
- Wrap the cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Don’t roll the cheese ball in the nuts until just before serving; they lose their crunch in the fridge.
Can you freeze a cheese ball?
Yes, you can freeze a cheese ball. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Place it in a zip-top freezer bag, press out the extra air, and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost the cheese ball overnight (at least 8 hours) in the fridge.
How long will a cheese ball last?
This bacon ranch cheese ball will last for a week in the fridge. Be sure to keep it tightly wrapped so it doesn’t pick up any smells from the other food in the fridge.
How to Make Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
Gather the ingredients.
Beat the cream cheese and grated cheddar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the bacon, green onions, garlic, and seasonings. Add additional seasoning to taste.
Place in a bowl and chill for at least 1 1/2 hours.
Spoon the cheese mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap, then fold the wrap around the cheese ball. Pat it into a round shape.
Roll the cheese ball in toasted pecans and parsley.
Place on a plate with crackers, then serve.
Crave-Worthy Crowd Pleasing Appetizers
- Easy Baked Jalapeño Poppers: these tasty morsels are low carb, vegetarian, and easy to make.
- Woodland Hedgehog Cheese Ball: the perfect make ahead baby shower appetizer.
- Cheesy Sloppy Joe Sliders: gooey mini sandwiches with the crunch of red onion and dill pickles.
The pleasure of a 5-star review of this bacon ranch cheese ball would be greatly appreciated.Print
Bacon ranch cheese ball is a make ahead party appetizer that’s a real crowd pleaser! Its rich creamy texture, ranch flavor, and nutty crunch from toasted pecans make it a favorite. Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, smoked bacon, garlic, and homemade ranch seasoning makes this the perfect family snack for football season or tailgating.
For the Cheese Ball
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 16 ounces full-fat cream cheese, softened (453g)
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (240g)
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced (15g)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Decoration
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (86g)
- 1/4 cup fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Lay the bacon slices in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high until the bacon begins to sizzle, then reduce to medium and cook until crispy, turning the bacon with a fork. Drain on paper towels, blot off the excess grease, and crumble into small pieces. You should have 1/2 cup (40g) of crumbled bacon.
- Dump the softened cream cheese into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat briefly with the paddle attachment until smooth. Add the grated cheddar cheese and beat until well combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a flexible spatula, then add the crumbled bacon, green onion, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Beat until smooth and evenly mixed, then adjust seasonings to taste as desired.
- Chill the cheese ball for at least 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F and spread the pecans on a small baking sheet. Toast the nuts at 350 F for 6 minutes, until they are slightly darkened and have a nutty aroma. Chop the fresh parsley and set aside.
- Once the cheese ball has chilled, spoon all the mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic around the cheese and roll it into a ball.
- Mix together the pecans and parsley on the small baking sheet. Peel the plastic wrap off of the cheese ball and roll it in the pecan-parsley mixture to coat, then set it on the serving plate. Arrange the crackers around the perimeter of the plate and serve.
The pleasure of a 5-star review of this bacon ranch cheese ball would be greatly appreciated.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Chilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cream cheese, bacon, green onion