We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Arugula Salad with andouille sausage is a hearty fall salad that can easily be a meal. The spicy andouille sausage provides the protein, while roasted turnips, russet potatoes, and garlic add additional flavor. The toasted slivered almonds give this salad some crunch, along with the peppery arugula greens. Add some zing with the sweet pickled cherry peppers, and let the tangy mustard dressing pull this colorful salad all together.
You might be questioning the use of turnips in this salad, but stay with me. Although they’re not a trendy vegetable, they have a wonderful flavor and good health benefits.
What are the common cooking methods for turnips?
- slow roasting
Do you have to peel turnips before roasting?
- Yes, unless the turnips are small and young.
- Scrub and rinse with running cold water first.
- Peel with a paring knife or vegetable peeler.
Have you tried andouille sausage before? You’re in for a treat with this popular, slightly spicy Louisiana sausage.
What kind of spices are in andouille sausage?
- cayenne pepper
- hot chilies and/or crushed red peppers
- salt and black pepper
What can you substitute for andouille sausage?
- Mexican chorizo sausage is similar in flavor, but not texture.
- Smoked kielbasa is less spicy, but provides a somewhat similar flavor.
How to Make Arugula Salad with Andouille Sausage
Since the roasted vegetables take 45 minutes to cook, let’s gather and prep our ingredients to get them in the oven fast.
Once the potatoes and turnips have been scrubbed and the turnips have been peeled, dice them into small cubes. Toss the potatoes, turnips, garlic, thyme, olive oil, and salt until well combined.
Line a baking tray with foil and brush it with oil, then evenly spread the vegetables on the tray.
When they’re fully roasted, they will reduce in size.
While the vegetables are roasting, prep the rest of the salad ingredients. Drain the pickled cherry peppers, slice the sausage, and grate the cheese.
Measure out the dressing ingredients and squeeze some fresh lemon juice.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together until well combined.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the andouille sausage and cook until heated through.
Dry toast the almonds over medium high heat. Stir constantly and watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
Place the arugula, roasted vegetables, sausage, and cherry peppers in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the tangy mustard dressing over the salad and toss until well combined. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of almonds and Parmesan or Asaigo cheese.
- If you want to meal prep this on Sunday to eat during the week, separate each ingredient and keep them covered in the fridge.
- Only put dressing on what you plan on eating right away.
- Don’t like big slices of andouille, cut into smaller pieces.
- Don’t have arugula? Substitute watercress.
- Don’t have almonds? Substitute with walnuts.
- Don’t have potatoes or turnips? Substitute with butternut squash cubes and rutabagas.
- Don’t like a tangy mustard dressing? Substitute with a mayo and buttermilk dressing.
This salad is high in protein, vitamin C, fiber and iron, so it’s got some good qualities. If you’re looking for a salad recipe that is hearty and delicious, give this a try.
Tantalize your tastebuds with these other delectable salads.
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Wild Rice, and Apple Salad: this healthy, colorful salad is perfect for a fall dinner or even Thanksgiving.
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Maple Balsamic Dressing: cheese, pomegranate, and crunchy greens give this salad lots of fiber and vitamins.
- Pear, Gouda, and Almond Salad: tangy lemons pair with red pear and two kinds of cheese in this elegant, delicious salad.
Did you make this arugula salad with andouille sausage? Please leave a recipe rating below to share how you liked it.Print
Arugula salad with andouille sausage is an easy fall salad recipe with a tangy lemon and mustard dressing. The hearty ingredients in this simple, keto friendly salad give you lots of protein, fiber, and iron. Savor each bite of the roasted veggies, pickled peppers, and toasted almonds in this cold weather salad.
For the Roasted Vegetables
- 5 turnips, peeled and diced
- 4 medium russet potatoes, diced with skins on
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
For the Salad Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound pre-cooked andouille sausage, diagonally sliced or cut small
- 1 16 fluid ounce jar of sweet pickled cherry peppers
- 4 ounces arugula (112g)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Stir together the diced turnips, potatoes, and garlic in a large bowl, then mix in the olive oil and spices with your hands. Brush a thin coat of oil on the prepared pan to prevent sticking, then spread the vegetables evenly over the pan. Roast for 45 minutes, stirring the vegetables halfway through. Let them cool.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk together all the ingredients except the oil in a small bowl. Stir in the olive oil, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To toast the slivered almonds, put them in a small frying pan set over medium high heat. Constantly stir the almonds until they have browned and smell toasted. Watch them carefully, as the smaller pieces burn quickly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced or cut up andouille sausage, toss it in the hot oil, and cook until heated through.
- To assemble the salad, put the arugala greens, roasted vegetables, sausage, sweet pickled cherry peppers, and half of the grated cheese in a large bowl and mix well with your hands. Pour the salad dressing over top and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary, adding a bit more vinegar or lemon juice.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and garnish with the toasted almonds and a generous sprinkle of grated cheese. Serve immediately.
- If you want to make this ahead, keep the ingredients separate until you are ready to serve.
- Once the salad is tossed with the dressing, it won’t keep crispy for long. It’s best to only put dressing on what you plan on eating right away.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, andouille sausage, roasted vegetables