This delicious fall dessert has all the rustic feels you love! Learn how to make this easy cranberry apple galette, and your family will be thrilled with its flaky homemade crust and tender filling.
For the Crust
For the Filling
- 4 large Granny Smith apples (850g before peeling and slicing)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (60g)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (66g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (10g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel and thinly slice the apples, then toss them with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Each apple should be cut into approximately 32 slices.
- Add the cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon to the bowl of apple slices and toss until well coated.
- Place half of the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and roll it into 11 or 12-inch diameter circle. Transfer the pastry to a large parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Arrange half of the apple slices and cranberries on the circle of pastry, leaving a border of about 3 inches all the way around.
- Fold the pastry over the filling, then brush it with the beaten egg and sprinkle the pastry and filling with demerara sugar.
- Bake the galette at 400 F for 35 minutes, or until the pastry is a rich golden brown. Let it cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then let it finish cooling on a wire rack. Cover the filling with foil if it’s starting to brown too much.
- Repeat steps 3-6 with the other half of the pastry and filling.
- Serve the galette warm with vanilla ice cream or crème anglaise.
- This recipe can be changed up based on your personal preferences. Try using different warm spices (cardamom, cloves, pumpkin pie spices), other fruits, or even using puff pastry instead of shortcrust.
- Using a sturdy cake lifter makes it easy to transfer the galettes from the cookie sheets to the wire racks or serving plates.
- Leftover galette can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 1 month.
- Category: Pies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: galette, tart, rustic