These moist apple cranberry muffins make a delightful autumn snack.
For the Muffins
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced Golden Delicious apple (about 1 1/2 apples)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Preparing the Fruit
- Peel, core, and finely dice the Golden Delicious apples. Place the cut apples in a bowl of cold water and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice until they are needed to prevent them from browning.
- Rinse the cranberries and discard the ones that are bruised or discolored.
Making the Muffins
- Stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk, and olive oil until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and stir until just combined with some lumps remaining.
- Drain the apples, then fold them and the cranberries into the batter.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners. Line an additional 3 holes in another 12-hole muffin pan.
- Fill each liner to the top with batter, using the extra 3 if needed. Fill any unfilled holes in the pan halfway with water to get an even bake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Making the Topping
- Melt the tablespoon of butter in a small bowl.
- Mix in the brown sugar, walnuts, oats, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the muffin batter.
Baking the Muffins
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes at 375 F, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a few muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack.