We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission. Thanks for supporting Savor the Flavour!
Muffins are one of my favorite freezer-friendly desserts. It’s so convenient to pull one out, defrost it in the microwave, and have a home-baked dessert anytime you like. Although I usually do that with our family favorite of bran and molasses muffins, these apple cranberry muffins are great for the freezer too. They’re packed full of Golden Delicious apple and fresh cranberries to provide a slightly sweet-and-tangy taste to these easy muffins.
My favorite part of these muffins is definitely the top. When they’re freshly baked, the topping is crunchy and so delicious! You can’t go wrong with brown sugar, walnuts, oats, and cinnamon, right? 😉
Not only are these muffins easy to make, but they are also wonderful to have during the autumn season. They are so moist and flavorful you don’t even need to serve them with butter! (Tip for food photographers: a great snack during a photo shoot. 📷)Print
These moist apple cranberry muffins make a delightful autumn snack.
For the Muffins
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced Golden Delicious apple (about 1 1/2 apples)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Preparing the Fruit
- Peel, core, and finely dice the Golden Delicious apples. Place the cut apples in a bowl of cold water and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice until they are needed to prevent them from browning.
- Rinse the cranberries and discard the ones that are bruised or discolored.
Making the Muffins
- Stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk, and olive oil until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and stir until just combined with some lumps remaining.
- Drain the apples, then fold them and the cranberries into the batter.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners. Line an additional 3 holes in another 12-hole muffin pan.
- Fill each liner to the top with batter, using the extra 3 if needed. Fill any unfilled holes in the pan halfway with water to get an even bake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Making the Topping
- Melt the tablespoon of butter in a small bowl.
- Mix in the brown sugar, walnuts, oats, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the muffin batter.
Baking the Muffins
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes at 375 F, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a few muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cranberry muffins streusel topping, apple muffins