Apple, blue cheese, and walnut salad is an easy and healthy simple salad that combines Granny Smith and Fuji apples with toasted walnuts, shaved carrots, blood oranges, blue cheese, and currants. Drizzle the dressing over top and you’re ready to serve this composed salad over butter lettuce for a lunch or amazing side.
For the Salad
- 8 to 10 pieces of butter lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 green tart apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red sweet apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (for soaking the apple slices)
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shaved
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon spring onion, finely chopped
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Line the platter with 8-10 pieces of butter lettuce.
- Get two medium bowls and fill them with cold water. Stir in one tablespoon of lemon juice into each one. Thinly slice half of the red and green apples, and keep the slices in the lemon water to prevent browning.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Constantly stir the walnuts until they are toasted. Remove from the heat and pour the nuts onto a paper towel to absorb any excess butter.
- Arrange the sliced apples fanned out in groups of three on top of the butter lettuce. Do the same with the blood oranges. Place the toasted walnuts and the dried currants in the center of the platter with the blue cheese crumbles on either side. To finish, put the carrot shavings near the apple wedges.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add the finely chopped spring onion. Gradually add the oil while constantly whisking.
- Pour into a pretty jug with a spout.
- Drizzle the dressing over top and serve immediately.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blue cheese salad, best blue cheese salad recipes