We handpicked the products and tools linked in this post. If you buy from one of these affiliate links, we may earn a small commission.
Are you craving a healthy something sweet, tart and savory? Why not try our apple, blue cheese, and walnut salad. It’s stunning and delicious.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, prep every thing in advance. For best results, arrange just before serving. Allow guests to drizzle the the dressing on their own portion, or consider drizzling some on just before serving to your guests.
How many calories are in one serving for this recipe?
To calculate the nutrition facts, we divided the recipe into 4 equal serving sizes. For one serving, there is 226 calories with 20.6g of carbs, not including the dressing. This recipe is also high in vitamin C. For more nutritional information, scroll past the recipe card.
How long will this recipe keep?
At room temperature, this will keep for up to two hours. If there are any leftovers, place in an airtight container and put them in the fridge.
For best results, try to eat this up the next day. If you need longer storage, put ingredients in separate bowls: cheese, nuts, fruit and veggies. If there is any dressing leftover, pour it in a small mason jar and screw on a lid. The dressing should last for up to 2 days.
How to Make
- Gather all your ingredients then start to prep. Thinly slice the two apples and submerge in lemon water then slice the orange. Peel and shave the carrot and finely chop a spring onion.
- Toast the walnuts on the stove top in a small pan.
- Line the platter with rinsed and dried butter lettuce leaves.
- Decide where you want your colorful veggies or fruits to be displayed then arrange the other ingredients around it. You can make your design symmetrical (matching) or asymmetrical. Be creative and have fun arranging.
- Whip up the light tasting dressing in minutes and lightly drizzle it over the ingredients before serving.
- Want to prevent browning? Submerged the apples slices in lemon water.
- Want better tasting walnuts? Lightly toast them in unsalted butter.
Looking for other stunning salads?
The pleasure of a 5 star review would be greatly appreciated.Print
Apple, blue cheese, and walnut salad is an easy and healthy simple salad that combines Granny Smith and Fuji apples with toasted walnuts, shaved carrots, blood oranges, blue cheese, and currants. Drizzle the dressing over top and you’re ready to serve this composed salad over butter lettuce for a lunch or amazing side.
For the Salad
- 8 to 10 pieces of butter lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 green tart apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red sweet apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (for soaking the apple slices)
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shaved
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon spring onion, finely chopped
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Line the platter with 8-10 pieces of butter lettuce.
- Get two medium bowls and fill them with cold water. Stir in one tablespoon of lemon juice into each one. Thinly slice half of the red and green apples, and keep the slices in the lemon water to prevent browning.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Constantly stir the walnuts until they are toasted. Remove from the heat and pour the nuts onto a paper towel to absorb any excess butter.
- Arrange the sliced apples fanned out in groups of three on top of the butter lettuce. Do the same with the blood oranges. Place the toasted walnuts and the dried currants in the center of the platter with the blue cheese crumbles on either side. To finish, put the carrot shavings near the apple wedges.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add the finely chopped spring onion. Gradually add the oil while constantly whisking.
- Pour into a pretty jug with a spout.
- Drizzle the dressing over top and serve immediately.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blue cheese salad, best blue cheese salad recipes